image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

10.8.12

LEMON HERBED RICE


My grandmother wasn’t very good at cooking rice, hers was watery, but she did put a lot of fresh parsley in it when it was in season. I carried on with the tradition with my own version of herbed rice. I can buy fresh herbs throughout the year, I don’t grow them, plants always die on me, and the grower of the family is not interested in wintering herbs. He grows them and dries them for me. End of story. But dry herbs don’t compare to the fresh, so I sneak a package or two into the house every week and then keep it in the fridge bundled up in paper towels inside a plastic bag. They last longer that way. But in summer it is so easy. I just walk down to the garden and cut what I need. I love the summer… heat and all. When we lived in Prince Rupert, I remember every vacation was about chasing the sun; we would just drive until we found blue skies. We often ended up in the sunny Okanagan. Imagine my delight when we finally got a transfer to Kamloops. That was thirty three years ago and after that we never left.

1 batch of cooked rice
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh herbs: parsley, dill and chives
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 clove of garlic, very finely minced

• Prepare the rice.
• Meanwhile wash and chop the herbs and mince the garlic.
• When the rice is ready, remove from heat.
• Add the herbs and the garlic.
• Squeeze fresh lemon juice on the top and toss.

4 comments:

  1. It looks delicious, Zsuzsa and reminds me of a Japanese rice dish I'm preparing to post. The world is so small sometimes... especially the culinary one.
    Do you know how the French who don't know anything about foreign cooking cook the rice? They cook it first until it's horribly soft and then... put into a colander and run it under cold water until it's cold, tasteless and even softer... Nightmare!
    Apparently every nation has its specialty (the French have lots of these) and should stick to it. The French also don't know how to cook pork (apart from dried sausages and ham which are excellent). They treat it like beef (i.e. almost no seasoning, quick "delicate" cooking etc.) while we both know it's a completely different kind of meat which supports even long hours in sauerkraut (how I crave székely gulyàs... I will never thank you enough for making me discover it). Hungarians and Poles are among those in Europe who do it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a simply delicious rice recipe! It looks perfectly cooked and love the use of the fresh herbs and lemon juice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me about it. I was on holiday/visit on Vancouver Island a few years ago and there was a big fuss at one of the hotels in Campbell River about their Saturday night pork roast. We had to buy the tickets ahead of time. I never ever heard of a hotel selling tickets to dinner. But that should have been the first clue. So our plates arrive and the pork is pink, very pink. But who needs a parasite? We made do with the salad bar, but boy was I ever miffed! Last night I made a large spice rubbed pork roast. I took a couple of photos, but then I didn't post it because I didn't think it was interesting enough. I should have added some cabbage ;-), in fact to tell you the truth I was debating if I should roast it on a bed of thinly sliced purple cabbage...

    ReplyDelete
  4. why thank you Peach Lady!

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive