You will need a variety of smaller fishes or a medium sized fresh salmon for this soup. The write up is for salmon.
salmon tail, flippers, underbelly, bones, the head is optional
2 onions, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 parsnip, chopped
1/4 celeriac, chopped
2 sprigs of fresh parsley
1 tsp pepper corns
2 bay leaves
salt to taste
2 Tbsp olive oil
fleshy filet of half [medium sized] salmon with the skin attached
6 cups of fish stock
1/3 cup white wine
1 minced garlic
1 large carrot, sliced
1 parsnip, sliced
1/4 celery root, sliced
1 sprig of fresh parsley
3 Tbsp paprika
• After the fish is gutted and if using the head, the eyes removed, cut off the tail section, the head and the underbelly. Wash them and place them in a medium Dutch pot.
• Next filet the fish. Add the bones to the pot.
• Slice one of the filets into 1 inch segments. Place on a plate and salt them lightly. Wrap the remaining filet and refrigerate or freeze for a different use.
• Peel, wash and chop the vegetables for the stock. Add these to the pot.
• Add the garlic, parsley and the peppercorns and sprinkle with salt.
• Add enough cold water to submerge the fish parts and the vegetables by about one to two inches of water.
• Bring to the boil, reduce heat and cover the pot.
• Cook the stock with a slow, but steady simmer for 1 hour.
• Meanwhile peel, wash and chop all the vegetables for the soup.
• Remove the pot from heat and strain the stock into a medium pot.
• Discard all the fish parts and the vegetables.
• Make the soup next.
• Place the olive oil in a clean medium Dutch pot.
• Add the fish filets.
• Place the vegetables on the top and sprinkle with the paprika.
• Pour six cups of fish stock on the top.
• Bring to the boil slowly; you don’t want rolling boil at this stage.
• Cover the pot and slowly simmer soup for twenty minutes.
• Do not stir soup; instead gently move pot side to side.
• Remove pot from heat and discard the parsley.
• Serve the soup piping hot with sour cream, lemon slices and thick slices of rustic bread.
• This is a complete meal.