MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

6.8.12

BROCCOLI AND BACON PASTA


This was very tasty; though I have to confess I fried the onions with the bacon and thus included the bacon fat. Even though Jim is not a pasta man and the second generation of broccoli florets were a little overripe, the dish was still a success. It must have been that bacon flavour! I used marble cheddar; it gave the dish color without overpowering the rest of the flavours. It was such a simple dish to make, we sure to have this casserole again.

2 cups pasta bowknot, penne or shells
2 cups broccoli florets, washed and drained
1 cup frozen peas
4 thick slices of bacon, chopped
1/2 cup diced purple onion
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 egg
1-1/2 cups marble cheddar, grated

• Preheat the oven to 375F.
• Cook the pasta, NOT according to packet instructions; cook it tender. Drain and place it in a mixing bowl.
• At the same time the pasta is cooking, blanch the broccoli florets.
• Add the frozen peas to the broccoli and remove from heat.
• Drain the broccoli and peas mixture and then add to the same mixing bowl.
• At the same time, slowly fry the bacon until it begins to crisp a little.
• Add the onions to the bacon and sauté until onions are soft.
• Transfer the bacon-onion mixture to the same mixing bowl.
• Place 1/2 cup of whipping cream in a measuring cup.
• Add the egg and whisk them together with a fork. Add to the same mixing bowl.
• Add 1 cup of grated cheese to the same mixing bowl.
• With cooking spray, spray a 9X9 inch casserole dish.
• Gently combine contents of the mixing bowl and transfer to the casserole dish.
• Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake until golden and the kitchen fills up with the delicious aroma.

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!

Blog Archive