image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

19.12.15

CHRISTMAS COOKIES

 Olivia's Christmas cookies at age of 5

Here is Olivia at age four

Children love baking cookies for Santa. Start with something simple. Give them help with the oven, but don't interfere. What you will both discover is they enjoy decorating cookies the most. Live for the moment, don't mind the mess, the years go by fast. In the end you will forget how the cookies fared. You will look back and remember only the time you spent together. 

The year was 1989.  2 days before Christmas. I was sick. Peter and Leilah did the entire Christmas baking

After close to five decades of Christmas baking, I concluded that quality is more important than quantity. That elaborate cookie decoration is no substitution for delicious flavour and perfect texture. We all heard the comment, "these will look good on the platter", but if the cookie is boring, nobody will want to eat it. People’s idea of what constitutes a good cookie of course is different. I too have my preferences. I don’t like mint, carob, whole wheat, ginger, applesauce, chili, mashed beans, low fat, no fat or artificial sweeteners in my cookies. The healthy cookie is an oxymoron. Christmas cookies should be melt-in-the-mouth buttery and rich with top grade, pure ingredients.

The trick is not to make more than one batch from any cookie. If you must, at least write a recalculated ingredient list and don’t assume that you will remember to double or triple every item without it. One of the reasons I omit baking times are the inevitable variables. The oven, the baking pan, the size, the number and the thickness of the cookies all determine baking time. These can change from one batch to the next. Most cookies will bake for at least ten minutes, so I set the timer for ten, check on it, and then keep underestimating the remaining baking time and resetting the timer. Sometimes I have to set the timer for one or two minutes several times. I use a timer though. If the aroma of baking cookies finds my nose, it is a good bet that they are overdone.

Let the cookies cool down completely, chocolate has to set before packing into tins. It is always a good idea to place individual cookies in paper wrappers. Use small cupcake liners or bon-bon sized paper cups. Think it through how you want to store them. Repacking makes the cookies and the liners look worn and unappetizing. When packing, avoid smearing the liners or the neighbouring cookies with chocolate. Cover each cookie layer with parchment paper. Parchment paper holds up better than wax paper. Delicate cookies don't really belong in the cookie tin. Don’t keep cookies at room temperature overnight, most cookies go stale within one day.

Happy Baking and have a Merry Christmas!  




10 comments:

  1. An amazing assortment to choose from for the holidays or any time of year. I agree with the less is more strategy. A few great cookies rather than going crazy trying to make a dozen kinds. I made chocolate truffles and will have some mincemeat tarts to nibble on this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zsuzsa, I must try your Linzer cookies soon! Happy Christmas my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure they will be wonderful Lizzy! Happy baking! <3

      Delete
  3. A beautiful collection of delicious cookies. Each year my list of baking becomes fewer and fewer. You are ABSOKUTELY right about writing down the doubling of a recipe, one is is easily distracted these days! It was two days ago that I halved everything but the flour! I had to start again but I cheated and fudged it! Fortunately it worked out. I was surprised to see the Jewel Bars, it's a recipe I cut out from a Homemakers recipe magazine about 35 years ago although I haven't made it in decades!
    I wish you and your family a Boldog Karácsony és Szilvester.
    Eva http://kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eva, glad the recipe worked out for you, what you described happens to me all the time. I still have the cutout of the jewel bars recipe I just don't remember where from. I still have 40 year old Nok Lapja recipes. At one time I kept them in one of those magnetic photo albums. I now keep them in large freezer bag tucked between my fraying cookbooks. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for a wonderful year of sublime recipes!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome Dolores. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  5. I just read the paragraph starting with "After five decades..." out loud to my husband and we both totally agree!!!! When is comes to the cookie - quality over quantity always!!! Love the cookies decorations and the picture of Olivia. She's so cute! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and are now having a relaxing week before the New Year. See you in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Peach Lady you know all about quality, everything you make is first class. Thank you for the good wishes and you and yours have a wonderful 2016!

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.