image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

19.8.11

BREAD IN COAT – BUNDÁSKENYÉR


Well in a fashion. Bundáskenyér is the savoury, Hungarian version of french toast. It was never a breakfast food while I was growing up, we always had it on its own for vacsora [evening snack] or as a topping over some vegetable dish for the main meal we had at noon. You just have to wonder sometimes who writes those “Hungarian” recipes in English…

We used to deep fry bundáskenyér in about and inch of vegetable oil. It puffed up from the added milk and got rather crispy from the frying and the taste was, well you need bread baked in a wood-fired hearth and leavened with natural starter to know what it might have tasted like. Bundáskenyér was so good you needn’t put anything on it; in fact it used to jazz up the most mundane of vegetable stews. I can’t get the same bread so I seldom fry it; I tend to bake my version of bundáskenyér in the oven on parchment paper. I do not add milk to the eggs though, because the type of sourdough we have here would get soggy with the added milk, so I just forgo the milk and dip the bread in eggs; one egg per slice. Baked bundáskenyér makes a great snack if spread with sour cream and topped with grated cheese and it’s also nice with hummus or tzatziki.

3 eggs
3 slices of white sourdough bread
parchment paper
cooking spray

• Preheat the oven to 375F.
• Line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
• Whisk the eggs together.
• One by one dip the sourdough slices into the egg wash coating well.
• Spray the parchment paper with cooking spray.
• Arrange the bread slices on the paper not touching.
• Bake until one side is golden, and then turn over.
• When both sides are nicely browned remove from the oven and serve.
  

5 comments:

  1. OMG - I thought we made this in our family as an aberration from french toast - didn't realise it was/is actually a typical hungarian way of doing it. Though perhaps I should have - it is one of my hungarian dad's frequently made dishes :) You learn something new every day.

    Mind you, we never deep fried it - shallow fried on a pan. Still one of my favourite quick meals. I've always loved it with tomatoes on top, though my dad always shook his head when I had it that way.

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You put it right, it wasn't deep fried - I should have been more exact - it was fried in an inch or so of oil. I'm going to correct it. And oh yes you had it the Hungarian way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My children named this the "fuzzy bread"! It was very popular just in general, but couldn't imagine spinach without it! Still making it occasionally and still much loved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My children named this the "fuzzy bread"! It was very popular just in general, but couldn't imagine spinach without it! Still making it occasionally and still much loved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband was from Egar Hungary. He grew up on what I call Hungarian French toast because I couldn't pronounce the Hungarian name. He told me that they would spread bacon grease on top or just sprinkle it with some salt and serve it with a glass of milk

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive