19.8.11

BREAD IN COAT – BUNDÁSKENYÉR

Well in a fashion. Bundáskenyér is the savoury, Hungarian version of french toast. It was never a breakfast food while I was growing up, we always had it on its own for vacsora [evening snack] or as a topping over some vegetable dish for the main meal we had at noon. You just have to wonder sometimes who writes those “Hungarian” recipes in English…

We used to deep fry bundáskenyér in about and inch of vegetable oil. It puffed up from the added milk and got rather crispy from the frying and the taste was, well you need bread baked in a wood-fired hearth and leavened with natural starter to know what it might have tasted like. Bundáskenyér was so good you needn’t put anything on it; in fact it used to jazz up the most mundane of vegetable stews. I can’t get the same bread so I seldom fry it; I tend to bake my version of bundáskenyér in the oven on parchment paper. I do not add milk to the eggs though, because the type of sourdough we have here would get soggy with the added milk, so I just forgo the milk and dip the bread in eggs; one egg per slice. Baked bundáskenyér makes a great snack if spread with sour cream and topped with grated cheese and it’s also nice with hummus or tzatziki.

BREAD IN COAT
3 eggs
3 slices of white sourdough bread
parchment paper
cooking spray

• Preheat the oven to 375F.
• Line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
• Whisk the eggs together.
• One by one dip the sourdough slices into the egg wash coating well.
• Spray the parchment paper with cooking spray.
• Arrange the bread slices on the paper not touching.
• Bake until one side is golden, and then turn over.
• When both sides are nicely browned remove from the oven and serve.   

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!