1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/8 cup olive oil
1 fresh pepper, diced
4 medium tomatoes, skin removed
3 large handful of fresh wax beans, chopped
1-2 Tbsp Hungarian paprika
Ground pepper to taste
2 Tbsp flour
2/3 cup sour cream [14%]
extra sour cream for serving
• Wash and drain the wax beans.
• Cut off ends, and chop to one inch lengths.
• Finely chop the onions.
• Place a large bottomed pot on the stove.
• Add the oil, the chopped onions and sprinkle with salt
• Sauté on medium heat until onions are soft.
• Add the tomatoes and the pepper chunks.
• Add the wax beans and the stir in the Hungarian paprika.
• Add 1 cup of water and bring to boil.
• Reduce to simmer and cover the pot.
• When the beans are almost tender, uncover.
• Continue to simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.
• Place the lid back on the pot and maintain a very slow simmer.
• Now place 2 Tbsp flour in a non stick fry pan over medium heat.
• Keep stirring the flour until it begins to get a little color, but not burnt.
• Take the fry pan off the heat and stir the flour into the beans.
• Adjust the salt and sprinkle with ground pepper.
• Add the sour cream and stir to combine.
• Bring to a boil, remove from heat and cover.
• Let the goulash rest for ten minutes before serving. This will allow the flavours to merge.
• Serve the wax bean goulash with a dollop of sour cream.