2 large handful of green beans [approximately 1 lb]
1/4 cup lard
1 garlic, minced
1/8 cup onions, diced
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp Hungarian paprika
1/2 cup sour cream
sprinkling of sugar
salt and pepper to taste
additional sour cream for serving
• Remove the bean ends and pull off the tough stringy bit from the sides.
• Rinse beans under cold running water.
• Chop into 1-1/2 inch lengths.
• Place chopped beans in a wide bottomed pot
• Add water to the level of the beans and salt it.
• Bring it to boil, reduce to simmer and place a lid on the pot.
• Cook beans until tender.
• Meanwhile make the roux.
• Melt the lard in a non stick fry pan.
• Add the onions and the garlic and sauté until very soft.
• Stir in the flour and cook until flour is a golden color.
• Remove fry pan from heat and stir in the Hungarian paprika.
• Add cold water and stir smooth.
• When the beans are cooked, stir in the roux.
• Bring it to simmer and then add 1/2 cup of sour cream.
• Add a sprinkling of sugar to tame the sour cream [the dish will not be sweet]
• Adjust the salt and add the ground pepper.
• Remove pot from heat and set aside.
• Serve the zöldbab főzelék with extra sour cream.