Sissi’s other important advice:
1) the water should be the coldest possible, so mix the batter just before frying, when the oil is very hot
2) the batter should have lumps, without lumps it's not as light and airy.
4 white fish filets
3 tablespoons cooking sake
5 Tbsp tempura batter mix
3 Tbsp ice cold water
• Pour oil at least 2 inches deep into a deep wide skillet.
• Heat oil between 350-360F
• In a small bowl barely whisk together batter mix and ice cold water.
• Set bowl into larger bowl filled with ice cubes to keep batter cold.
• Pat fish dry with paper towels.
• Dip the fish into batter one at the time and carefully slide into hot oil.
• Deep fry 2-4 minutes until cooked and yellowish white, turning over once.
• Remove; drain on paper towels.
• Serve immediately.