3 cups flour
pinch of salt
1 egg white
2+1 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs
icing sugar for sprinkling
• Combine 3 cups flour, 4 eggs and salt and kneed it smooth and velvety into fairly firm dough.
• Shape into a ball, wrap in plastic and let it rest for 30 minutes. This will make the dough soft and easy to roll out.
• Roll the dough out very thinly, and cover the other half with a clean kitchen towel.
• Dot one half with a teaspoon of filling 1-1/2 inches apart at regular intervals.
• Whisk together 1 teaspoon of water with the egg white. Reserve the yolk for the filling.
• Brush the dough between the heaps of filling with the egg white mixture.
• Remove the cloth and fold the other half of the dough over the filling.
• Press down firmly in between the heaps of filling.
• Cut into separate squares, each containing one heap of filling, using a pasta cutter.
• Cook in boiling water in a covered saucepan for 8-10 minutes.
• Meanwhile lightly toast 1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs in 2 Tbsp of butter until golden.
• Stir it often, breadcrumbs burn easily.
• When the pasta squares are cooked transfer them to a sieve to drain.
• Place in a serving bowl and pour 1 Tbsp melted butter on the top.
• Serve hot sprinkled with a bit of breadcrumb mixture and dust it with icing sugar.
Cottage Cheese Filling:
This cottage cheese filling is a nice alternative if túró is not available.
2 cups dry cottage cheese
4 Tbsp cream cheese
4 Tbsp 14% sour cream
5 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 egg yolk
1-2 Tbsp semolina, only if needed
• Crush the dry curd cottage cheese in the food processor.
• Add the rest of the ingredients except the semolina.
• Press pulse a few times.
• Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl.
• If needed, stir in 1-2 Tbsp of semolina.