2 medium eggplants
1/4 cup flour
1 well-beaten eggs
1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs
oil for frying
• Cut off the ends and peel two medium egg plants.
• Slice them 1/2 inch thick.
• Sprinkle with salt, and toss. Set aside for 30 minutes. This will draw out the bitter juices.
• Meanwhile place the flour, the egg, and the breadcrumbs on 3 separate plates.
• Beat the egg with a fork until slightly frothy.
• Squeeze the eggplant slices, then rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
• One by one dip each slice into the flour; coat well.
• Next dip them in the beaten egg; coat well.
• Finally dip them in the breadcrumbs, coating well.
• In a non stick fry pan place 1/2 inch of oil.
• Heat the oil to medium hot and one by one drop in the eggplant slices. The oil is hot enough when it bubbles around the eggplants. Do not crowd the pan. Flip only once.
• Place a paper towel lined plate and a thong [or a large slotted spoon] nearby, the eggplants fry up rapidly. There is no time to pick them out with a fork.
• When each slice is golden and crispy, quickly remove with the thong and place on the paper towel.
• Serve breaded eggplants immediately.