5 Tbsp sugar or more to taste
- Add apple slices, lemon juice, sugar and vanilla pod to a medium sized pot.
- Cover apples with water.
- Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to steady simmer.
- Simmer until apples are almost tender.
- Remove from heat and let the apples steep with the vanilla bean until they come to room temperature.
- Pour into a medium sized bowl, cover and chill.
- To serve ladle the chilled fruit with some juice into serving sized bowls.
- Rinse the vanilla bean under cold running water and air dry it for another use.