26.10.17

PEAR STRAWBERRY PIE

If you like a tarter pie, pear pie on its own would be a mildly boring proposition. What you want is an extra layer of flavour, but nothing overpowering. I think spices would obliterate the pear flavour as would tart fruits such as raspberries or cranberries. However a cup of sliced strawberries or blueberries I thought would do nicely. I had a small bag of frozen strawberries, but in retrospect fresh strawberries would have been better. For eating pears should be lightly soft. For pies, the firm, less ripe fruits are best. Avoid overripe pears.

I made 25 apple pies within a week and when I got to the pears… I made only two... well so far. Oh I don’t know, maybe on the weekend after I hunt down some fresh strawberries I could make a few more pear pies. If I do I will change the photo. If not… I’ll leave it for next year. Is it going to be a next year? You never know. I feel my pioneer woman’s days are winding down, I don’t know how long my love intends to carry on with this farmering thing in the back yard… he will be 79 this December. We turned the half century mark in May, it didn’t come together for a recipe, but I keep telling myself one of these I will get my act together and recreate our wedding feast with a candle light dinner. Ours wasn’t a country wedding, but the menu left nothing out with the main course what it was, rows of Erdélyi Fatányéros. There I made the commitment, now I just have to follow through, eh?    

PEAR STRAWBERRY PIE
Pie pastry for double crust
3 cups sliced pears
1/2 cup sliced strawberries
4 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp Fruit Fresh
5 Tbsp flour
1/8 cup butter

• Prepare the crust.
• Roll out the bottom crust 1/8" thick
• Lay crust in the bottom of the pie pan.
• Press crust gently into pan, leave excess hang over edge.
• Wash peel and thinly slice the pears, wash, hull and slice the strawberries.
• In a large bowl place the fruits, Fruit Fresh and sugar and toss to combine.
• Add the flour and toss to combine.
• Fill the pie pan with the fruit mixture and dot with bits of butter.
• Roll out the top layer and place over the filling.
• To seal the edge pinch and crimp all around.
• Cut several steam slits into the top.
• Bake for 50-60 minutes at 425F until pastry is golden and filling bubbles through vents.
• Let stand for 30 minutes to allow juices to settle before slicing. 

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!