3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, soft
2 Tbsp vegetable shortening, don’t ask me why
2 cups PURE maple syrup, the real stuff
3 egg yolks
1 large egg
1-1/4 cups milk
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped [I left these out]
4 icing sugar, sifted
2 Tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line two 12 cup cupcake pans with parchment paper liners or butter them generously.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and the salt.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer beat the butter and shortening until fluffy.
- Turn the beater to low and gradually stream in the maple syrup.
- Increase the speed to medium and beat for 3 minutes.
- Add the egg yolks and the egg, one at a time and beat to combine.
- Add half of the flour mixture, combine and then add the milk.
- Add the remaining flour and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Fold in the walnuts if using.
- Fill the prepared cupcake pans.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Please note, these cupcakes take longer to bake with the maple syrup.
- Let them cupcakes cool for 15 minutes and then transfer them to wire racks to cool down completely.
- Prepare the Cream Cheese Maple Icing.
Beat the soft butter and the icing sugar until completely frothy. Add the cream cheese and beat until just combined. Do not overbeat once the creamcheese is added.
- Store the cupcakes in the fridge but let them come to room temperature before serving.