1 kg tomatoes
1 garlic clove chopped
1/2 medium onion chopped
1/8 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp peppercorns
1/4 tsp allspice berries
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp fresh ginger
1/4 tablespoon salt
1-1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
• Wash and roughly chop the tomatoes.
• Put them in a pan, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
• Strain through a fine sieve, pressing out all the pulp.
• Place the strained tomato in a saucepan and add the remaining ingredients, except the sugar.
• Bring to slow simmer, cover and cook slowly for 25 minutes.
• Remove from heat and strain, discarding the spices, onion, garlic, etc.
• Slowly simmer for 15 minutes stirring often.
• After 15 minutes stir continuously until you obtain the desired ketchup consistency, (keeping in mind that hot ketchup is a bit more liquid than when it cools down).
• Stir in the sugar and adjust the taste if necessary.
• Pour the ketchup, into a sterilised jar.
• Let it cool down, screw on the lid and place in the fridge. It will last for two weeks.
• Ketchup preserves well if canned, but I would want at least 4 times the amount to make it worth my while to process in jars.