Nilla Update: None of THESE will ever make it to crumbs; husband and granddaughter were both horrified at grinding them up. She is walking away with whatever husband failed to secure for himself. I guess I am baking again tomorrow.
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean, seeds only
1 large egg white
1-1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp milk
1-1/3 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
• Preheat oven to 350F.
• With an electric mixer, cream butter, salt, sugar and vanilla seeds until light and fluffy.
• Beat in egg white until incorporated.
• Beat in extract and milk until incorporated.
• Whisk together flour and baking powder and add to butter mixture.
• Mix just to incorporate and press together until dough forms.
• Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
• Roll 56 balls between the palms of your hands and place on the prepared cookie sheets.
• Leave room for expansion.
• Bake for 15 minutes.
• The cookies will be soft at first, but they will firm up as they cool.
• Remove from heat and let cookies cool down completely before storing.
• Cookies will keep in an airtight container for at least a week and for several months in the freezer.