3 healthy potatoes, with the skin on
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped chives
3 cups chicken or pork stock
1 + 2/3 cups of milk
3 Tbsp flour
1/3 cup sour cream
2 thick slices of bacon [optional]
ground pepper to taste
• Scrub the potato skins.
• Chop the potatoes into small pieces.
• Place a medium stock pot on medium heat.
• Add the oil and the potatoes.
• Sprinkle a little salt on the top, not too much because the stock is salted already.
• Sauté for a few minutes and than add the chopped chives.
• Add the soup stock and bring it to a simmer.
• Cook slowly until the potatoes are tender.
• Meanwhile chop the bacon into small bitts.
• Place in a small non stick skillet and fry them crispy on medium heat.
• Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and transfer them to a paper towel lined plate and set it aside for use later.
• Combine 1 cup of milk with 3 Tbsp flour and add to the soup.
• Bring it to simmer and slow cook for 4 minutes.
• Combine 2/3 cup of milk with 1/3 cup sour cream and add to the soup.
• Puree soup with a stick blender or use a potato masher to mash the potatoes. You will not be able to mash the chives with the potato masher though.
• Force the soup through a fine sieve and discard what remains in the sieve.
• Place the soup back into the pot and bring it to a simmer, but just.
• Season with ground pepper and add the bacon bits.
• Serve with saltines.