This is a simple and yet delicious meal, especially good with the pepper salad I made last night. This was adapted from a femina.hu recipe. Bacon fat is a little heavy and replacing it with olive oil is a healthier alternative. The additional flavour from the olive oil fried peanuts gives this dish an extra punch.
8 cups water
spaghetti for two
4 thick slices of bacon, chopped
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup unsalted raw peanuts
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
• In a medium sized dutch pot, bring to boil 8 cups of salted water.
• Add the spaghetti and cook until just tender.
• Meanwhile fry the chopped bacon in a non stick skillet on medium heat, stirring often.
• When the bacon has a little color, with a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Discard the bacon fat.
• Place the olive oil in a clean non stick skillet and place it on medium low heat.
• Add the peanuts and slow fry, turning often until the peanuts start to get a little colour.
• Remove the peanuts with a slotted spoon and transfer to a small bowl.
• Add the minced garlic to the skillet the peanuts were fried in and sauté until you smell the garlic.
• Remove the skillet from the heat and put back the fried peanuts.
• Chop the parsley.
• Drain the spaghetti and put back in the same pot.
• Add the chopped parsley and the peanut garlic mixture.
• Add the bacon and toss.