12.9.12

PASTA CARBONARA

The minute I saw this dish at a-boleyn’s live journal, I knew I will have to make it for Jim. He is not a fan of lovely delicious cream oozing pasta and I wanted to see if he will pull a face when I put an Italian style pasta in front of him… again. Well he didn’t. This is the second run and this time I made a batch of homemade fettuccine and used bacon and Parmigiano-Reggiano. With commercial pasta, one egg yolk is sufficient, but homemade pasta soaks up two eggs greedily. I wanted to use peas but after reading the original recipe, haha, I didn’t dare. This was a good and simple dish and fast too; all it took was twelve minutes. The recipe is for two people, divide or multiply it as needed.

PASTA CARBONARA 
4 cups water
1 tsp oil
pasta for two
1/2 tsp salt
3 slices of thick bacon
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
3 sprigs of fresh flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup reserved pasta water
black pepper to taste
additional shaved parmesan cheese for garnish

• Bring the water to boiling and add the salt.
• Add the pasta and cook to package directions.
• Meanwhile chop the bacon and slow fry on medium heat.
• Discard the bacon fat and set aside the bacon.
• Next grate and shave the parmesan cheese, and chop the parsley.
• In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks with the grated parmesan cheese.
• Drain the cooked pasta, but reserve some of the pasta water.
• Put the pasta back into the same pot.
• Stir in the yolk and cheese mixture.
• Stir in the bacon and the chopped parsley.
• Add the reserved pasta water and stir to combine.
• Adjust the seasoning.
• Finally sprinkle with the shaved parmesan.
• If pasta is too dry add a little more pasta water.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!