image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

2.9.12

NEW POTATOES IN PARSLEY – PETREZSELYMES ÚJ KRUMPLI


If you can get your hands on some tiny new potatoes, they really are a treat. What is special about them is their unique flavour. Once they grow beyond an inch in diameter, they taste different. Not every small potato is new, the bagged ones available year around most certainly aren’t. The way you can tell the new potato is you don’t have to peel them; the skin is thin and comes off easily when scraped with a paring knife.

When I was a kid we sometimes bought our new potatoes from a tiny produce store next door. The store had a potato scraper rigged up and kept a ready supply of them in a large bin of water. New potatoes used to be big business and the smaller they were the better.

Use a mixture of olive oil and butter to sauté the new potatoes. The butter adds flavour and the oil prevents the butter from burning. Cook it over medium low heat and don’t stir them too much. New potatoes cook up surprisingly fast, so don’t salt them until you roll them into the chopped parsley.

2-4 servings of small new potatoes
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley [but not cilantro]
salt to taste

• Place the new potatoes in a large bowl of water.
• Let them sit in the water for 30 minutes.
• Scrape the skin off with a paring knife.
• Rinse them and chop the larger potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes. Leave the small ones whole.
• Place the oil and butter in a non stick fry pan over medium heat..
• When the butter melts, add the potatoes.
• Turn heat down just a little and place a lid on the fry pan.
• Meanwhile rinse the fresh parsley and chop. Sprinkle with salt and chop very finely.
• Sauté the potatoes until they start to get a little color. By then they will be tender.
• Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer potatoes to a serving bowl.
• Add the chopped parsley and gently toss.
• Serve immediately.


10 comments:

  1. Such a simple and delicious recipe! I love new potatoes, but can only get them in the very late summer/fall, at which point I start buying and eating. :) I haven't seen any yet. I love this recipe and am keeping it for when those new potatoes start showing up at the market. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have never had the idea of adding parsley which otherwise I use a lot (remember, I was brought up with potatoes + dill ;-) ). It looks crunchy, aromatic and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zuzsa, I'm with Sissi on this one. 90% of the time I always have the new potatoes with fresh dill, and I usually just cut a slim band around the red small potatoes, which to me is the 'new potato' but then, when I use the small white new potato which is seldom, that' when I peel it and use fresh parsley, just the way you make it.

    Have to make this delicious potato more often!
    I hope this comment will go thru now...keeping my fingers crossed:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it interesting! I always thought dill with potatoes is a unique idea. I only ever saw potatoes with parsley in Hungary. To the best of my knowledge they use dill for pickling and with tokfozelek [marrow squash stew].

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love new potatoes with parsley, thanks for reminding me of this simple side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Zsuzsa, I've been reading your blog for a while and have tried commenting before but I haven't succeeded; maybe because I don't have a blog myself. Anyway, I'm trying again. Hope it succeeds. Kati

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Kati. I removed the restrictions for a trial period. Unfortunately I also started to get spam.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad about the spam, its a real problem. On the other hand, there were a number of times I wanted to comment but was so frustrated not to be able to do so. I found your blog when I was looking for a smarni recipe. Your recipes often remind me of my Mom's cooking. I hope to be able to continue to comment but of course do understand if you wish to block the spammers. Kati

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me again Zsuzsa; I normally use parsely and if our resident groundhog hasn't eaten the dill, I've also mixed them both herbs with the potato. This is one of my younger daughter's favorite dishes. Kati

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kati I hope you can comment again, I had to restrict it a little, the spam was almost overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive