image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

14.9.12

POPPY SEED SALAD DRESSING


I made this salad dressing the other day. At first I found its sweetness way too much for my liking and the flavour was rather raw and undeveloped. But after a couple of hours sitting on the counter it mellowed into a rather pleasant salad dressing. Still, for my palate less sugar is better so I reduced the half cup to one third of a cup and for the same reason I put less onion into the second mixture. This is something you have to experiment with, but keep in mind that we consume salad dressing with a salad and not on it’s own. This can be made the old fashioned way, whisked up with a balloon whisk. Adapted from Food. People.Want.

1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp French mustard
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grape seed oil
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1/8 cup finely grated red onion
1-1/2 tsp poppy seeds

• Pour the olive and canola oil into a measuring cup and set it aside.
• Add the sugar, mustard, red onion and salt to the jar of a blender.
• Pour in the vinegar and blend on high until the sugar is thoroughly dissolved.
• With the motor still running, remove the lid from the blender and pour in the combined oils in a steady stream until emulsified.
• Pour the dressing into sterilized jar, add the poppy seeds and shake to combine.
• Seal the jar and refrigerate until use.
• Makes about 2 cups


4 comments:

  1. Zsuzsa do you crush or grind your poppy seeds? The dressing looks great! I'll try out a version with agave syrup (as I have a couple of friends who are diabetic, and can't handle all that sugar at once) and let you know how it comes out. I imagine I'll have to cut back on the agave more than you cut back on the sugar, because agave can get super sweet really fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dino and welcome to my blog. I would be interested to know how it worked for you with agave syrup. I think I will reduce the sugar again the next time I make this. The poppy seeds are whole, but they do soften up in the emulsion. It would have turned black if I used ground poppy seeds. But then again, black salad dressing could be interesting over some salads

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dressing looks fantastic and so original! At first I thought that this beautiful sauce was mixed kiwi ;-)
    As a big fan of poppy seeds, I will certainly try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sissi. We do love our poppy seeds. I am looking forward to making flodni. My apples are not quite ready.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive