1 cup good quality rice, I use Basmati
2 Tbsp light vegetable oil, I use grape seed oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, diced
2 medium large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1-1/2 cups chicken or pork stock
salt and pepper to taste
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 sprigs of fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
• Add the oil to a deep skillet and place over medium low heat.
• Pour in the rice and pan fry it, continually stirring until the grains are beginning to get a lightly toasted light brown colour. Make sure not to char any of the rice grains.
• Add the onion and the green pepper and the tomatoes and sauté for 2 minutes.
• Add 1 cup of chicken stock, cover and sauté over low heat for 3-4 minutes.
• Uncover and bit by bit add more stock as needed.
• Season with salt and pepper and add the minced garlic and the chopped parsley.
• Gently stir to combine.
• Avoid stirring the rice from here on, shake the skillet instead.
• When the stock is absorbed by the rice, cover and remove from heat.
• Let it rest for a few minutes and then gently fluff it up with a fork and serve.