1 cup red kidney beans
2 bay leaves
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp Hungarian Paprika
1/2 tsp caraway seeds, crushed
2 cloves of garlic, minced
leftover smoked meat or hambone
1-2 carrots, sliced
1 parsnip, sliced
1/2 celery root, chopped
1 small potato
1/4 green pepper, diced
1 tomato, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup of 14% sour cream
• Place beans in a glass container.
• Add 4 cups of water and set it aside to soak overnight.
• Drain and discard the soaking water.
• Rinse the beans in cold running water and drain.
• Place the beans in a medium sized pot and add 2 cups of water.
• Add 2 bay leaves, but do not add any salt.
• Cook the beans for 1 hour or until completely soft.
• In a heavy pot, heat 4 Tbsp olive oil.
• Add the diced onions and sauté until translucent.
• Add 1 Tbsp flour and cook for a little while longer.
• Add the paprika, caraway seeds and minced garlic.
• Add the cooked beans, including the stock.
• Add a bit of leftover smoked pork meat or a ham bone.
• Add 2 cups of cold water and bring to the boil.
• Cover pot, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
• Add the carrots, parsnip, celery root, potato, green pepper and tomato.
• Bring to the boil, cover and reduce heat to a slow simmer.
• Cook for 40 minutes. Remove from heat, but do not take lid off.
• Let soup steep for about an hour.
• Remove the bay leaves.
• Adjust the salt and add some ground pepper to taste.
• Serve the bean gulyás with sour cream on the side.