2 lbs. beef chuck, in one piece
1 lb marrowbones
3 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper corns
6 whole carrots, cleaned
3 parsnips, peeled
1/2 celery root, peeled
1 kohlrabi, peeled
2 cloves of garlic, peeled
4 bay leaves
1 tsp peppercorns
2 tsp salt
cold water to fill up stockpot 3/4 way
• Preheat the oven to 450F.
• Place the beef and the marrowbones in a roasting pan.
• Roast the meat and marrowbones in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
• Meanwhile peel the vegetables and set them aside.
• Transfer the meat and the bones to a large stockpot.
• Add some water to the roasting pan to deglaze.
• Pour the contents of the roasting pan into the stockpot.
• Add the vegetables to the stockpot and then fill with water 3/4 of the way.
• Bring to a boil very slowly, reduce heat to barely a simmer and cover.
• Cook it in such fashion for 4 to 5 hours.
• Meanwhile make the noodles and the sauce.
• When the meat is very tender, remove soup from heat.
• With a large ladle scoop the fat from the top and discard.
• Place a fine sieve over a clean Dutch pot and ladle the stock into the pot.
• Place the cooked egg noodles in the soup bowls and ladle some clear broth over it.
• Arrange the vegetables and the meat on a serving platter and place the sauce alongside.
• Make a couple of toasts and spread the hot marrow [from the marrowbones] on the top. Sprinkle with salt.
• Serve the soup first and next serve the meat and vegetables with the sauce and the marrow toasts.