2 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
2 cups whole milk
pinch of nutmeg
salt and ground pepper to taste
• Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a deep non-stick fry pan over low heat.
• Cook the butter for two minutes. This will boil away the liquid, leaving you with pure butterfat.
• Add the 3 Tbsp of flour and cook for 2 minutes longer stirring continuously.
• Slowly pour in the cold milk, keep stirring continuously.
• Bring it to the boil and simmer over medium low heat for a few minutes to the desired thickness. [at the least the sauce should coat the spoon]
• Remove béchamel from heat and season with ground nutmeg, salt and pepper.
• To make Mornay sauce immediately add 3/4 cup of shredded hard cheese.