1-1/3 cups butter
1-3/4 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice,
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp baking soda
3 cups grated carrots
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
walnuts to decorate the top
• Peel and grate the carrots.
• Fully line two circular cake pans with parchment paper.
• Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
• Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
• In a separate bowl,whisk together the dry ingredients.
• Combine the butter mixture with the dry ingredients.
• Stir in the carrots, raisins and walnuts.
• Spread the batter in the pan. A small offset spatula works really well.
• Bake at 325F for 45 minutes or when the top resists when gently tapped.
• Cool the cakes in the pan completely.
• Remove to wire racks and peel of parchment papers.
• Make sure cake has cooled absolutely throughout before frosting.
• Frost the cake with two batches of Cream Cheese Icing: Make a crumb coat first, chill the cake and then cover the chilled cake with the remainder of icing.
• Decorate with walnut pieces or candied fruit bits. Stupendous!