3/4 cup whole milk
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese
1/2 cup bacon in small chunks
salt and pepper to taste
sprinkle of thyme
2 TBsp butter
• Place an ovenproof fry pan in the oven.
• Turn the oven to 475F.
• Whisk the eggs in a medium sized bowl.
• Gradually add the flour whisking all the while.
• Keep whisking and slowly incorporate the milk. The batter will be thin.
• Stir in the cheese, salt, pepper and thyme; set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
• Meanwhile, chop the bacon and cook in a different non-stick fry pan.
• Remove bacon and drain on paper towels.
• Open the oven door and very carefully put 2 Tbsp of butter into the fry pan. Close the door for 1 minute.
• Wearing thick oven mitts, and with the aid of extra potholders, or kitchen towels carefully remove the pan from the oven.
• Swirl the butter in the pan and place on the stovetop [pan might be too hot for the counter].
• Remove the oven mitts and quickly whisk up the batter.
• Now, slowly pour the batter into the skillet.
• Sprinkle the top with bacon.
• Put on the oven mitts and put the skillet back into the oven.
• Cook the Dutch baby for 12 minutes, or until it puffs up.
• Wearing the oven mitts and with the help of extra potholders or kitchen towels, remove pan from the oven.
• Dutch baby will deflate immediately, but this is good.
• Slide the Dutch baby onto a plate, cut it in half and serve it immediately.