1 1/2 Tbsp soft butter
1 Tbsp flour
1-1/2 to 2 cups of water or stock
3 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
• Melt the butter in a saucepan.
• Sprinkle the flour over the butter, stir and cook until the mixture foams up. Do not let it brown.
• Stir in the tomato paste, water or stock and cook stirring so no lumps form.
• When thickened, stir in the sugar, salt and the red wine vinegar.
• Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Add more sugar or vinegar to suit taste.
This makes over 1 cup of sauce.