image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

31.1.12

MEAT DUMPLINGS – HÚSGOMBÓC


When you make a large pot of soup, oftentimes not every part goes, thus leaving you with the responsibility of reassigning such parts as something else. By far the most popular solution is to make bite size meat dumplings from the meat and vegetables and serve them in the soup. If there is no more soup left, the leftover meat and vegetables can still be made into larger dumplings and then served with a nice paprika sauce.

I made a rather large pot of beef soup on Sunday. We had soup and noodles for our lunches every day. On Monday, I made a vadas [hunter style dish] from the leftover meat and vegetables with fresh bread dumplings. Today I made meat dumplings and served it with some leftover tomato sauce. Nothing was wasted but we are dumpling-ed out. Keep in mind never to use leftovers beyond the third day.

1 cup of soup meat and vegetable mixture
1 eggs
1 heaping Tbsp dry parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

• Put some water in a medium pot and place it on high heat.
• Put the meat and vegetables through the food processor.
• Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl.
• Add the parsley and the seasonings.
• Add the fine breadcrumbs. Depending on the mixture, you may need a bit less or more.
• Add a couple of drops of oil to the water and bring to the boil.
• Wet your hands, shape a piece of dough into a ball and drop it into the boiling water.
• After all the dumplings rise to the top cook for 4-5 more minutes longer.
• Remove dumplings with a slotted spoon and let dumplings drain.
• Place 2 Tbsp olive oil in the fry pan and place it on medium heat.
• Add the dumplings and heat through, shaking the pan occasionally and letting them slightly brown, but do not burn.
Makes 8 large dumplings


3 comments:

  1. What a coincidence! You have made balls out of my today's dumplings' filling ;-) (Well this time I have made it with chicken, but the method is so similar!). They look absolutely gorgeous. I must make them one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe we were on the same thought! We both used stock-meat… but I like your recipe better!

    I was thinking of making these again, but as soup filler, only I had so much leftovers from Sunday's beef soup I was desperate to use them up. I even doubled the recipe and froze some of it. I have to admit I like these more when tiny and in a soup and I certainly make soup often enough so I think I will do another post along those lines, but not from beef, we are both dumpling-ed and beef-ed out for the moment. By the way, your dumplings look very delicious Sissi! I will have to try to make those too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Zsuzsa. My mother also used to make similar (the recipe is a bit different, but they come from the beef stock) dumplings, but with beef. I also make them from time to time.
    I am not a very big beef fan. I could eat chicken and pork all my life (and of course seafood and fish); other meats could disappear from the planet. (Although there are two or three beef preparation I would miss... beef tartare is something I sometimes dream about at night)

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive