small beets, 2 per person
salt* and pepper, to taste
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
• Let beets warm up to room temperature first. [Refrigerated beets will steam and not roast.]
• Preheat the oven to 450F and turn on the fan.
• Peel the beets and chop them into 1/2-inch thick disks.
• Place in a mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper.
• Add 1-2 Tbsp olive oil to the bowl and toss.
• Line a heavy baking pan with parchment paper.
• Spray the parchment with cooking spray.
• Arrange the beets on the prepared pan, placing the larger disks close to the edge of the pan and the smaller ones in the middle. [It will be hotter near the edge of the pan.]
• Place the pan of beets in the preheated oven and roast for approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
• When beets are done and nicely crystallized, remove pan from the oven.
• Try to slide the beets with a spatula. If a beet is stuck to the pan, scrape it off immediately, do not let them cool stuck to the pan.
*WORDS OF CAUTION ABOUT SEA SALT: