image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

27.1.10

COTTAGE CHEESE BARS - TÚRÓ KOCKA


One more Hungarian recipe for túró made possible by adapting to local ingredients. Be sure to use dry curd cottage cheese or the recipe will not work. This is a homey, rustic bar that is well worth the wait.

600 g dry curd cottage cheese (Do NOT substitute)
4 eggs
3 Tbsp + 1 tsp farina
1-1/2 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup sugar
finely grated lemon zest
2 pkg. vanilla sugar
1-1/2 Tbsp baking powder
salt to taste
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled

Topping
3/4 cup sour cream
2 tsp flour
1 egg

• In a food processor puree the eggs and the dry curds until smooth. [In a blender, puree in batches.]


• Pour the curd mixture into a large bowl.
• Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until well combined.
• Pour into a greased, parchment paper lined rectangular baking pan.

• In a small bowl combine the topping ingredients and spoon it over the base.
• Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 25-30 minutes.

• Keep in the pan and let the bar cool to room temperature.
• Cover and place in the fridge overnight.
• Slice into bars in the pan and sift icing sugar on the top.

6 comments:

  1. How much sugar is there in a package of vanilla sugar? The vanilla sugar that I find locally come in bulk rather than individual packages.
    Also, the ingredients call for 1/2 butter. Is that a 1/2 cup, 1/2 stick or 1/2 pound?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very small amount sugar, one package of vanilla sugar is only 9 grams. I make my own vanilla sugar from icing sugar and vanilla beans and for every package I use about 1 Tbsp. And that would be 1/2 cup of butter. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Zsuza. I did find the 9g packages of Oetker vanilla sugar at a Polish deli/market. Now that I know what it is, I will make my own to since I see that the packages use artificial flavoring.

      Delete
  2. Made this yesterday. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Princess! It was good to see you again. Finally I got to the movie. I was sorry Han Solo died. Who do you think Rey's parents will be... haha were?

      Delete
  3. Can I use Turo for this?

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive