450 g round steak
2 Tbsp oil
salt and pepper
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 small onion, diced
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 Tbsp oil
3 Tbsp flour
1 cup sour cream
• Place the beef in the freezer for 10-15 minutes, it will slice easier.
• Thinly slice the beef into strips.
• Preheat a large skillet with 2 Tbsp of oil on medium high heat.
• Add some strips and sear on both sides.
• Remove beef and repeat with remaining 2 Tbsp oil and meat.
• Reserve all the beef on a plate.
• Place 2 Tbsp butter in a larger pot over medium heat.
• When the butter melts, add the diced onion.
• Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until soft.
• Add the meat to the pot.
• Add salt and pepper to taste.
• Cover with water and gently simmer until meat is tender.
• Add more water if needed.
• When the meat is done, clean and slice the mushrooms.
• Add the sliced mushrooms to the pot.
• Slowly simmer for a minute.
• In a small bowl stir smooth 1/2 cup water and 3 Tbsp flour.
• Force through a sieve and add to the pot.
• Stir and bring stroganoff back to simmer.
• Whisk in the sour cream and remove from heat.
• Serve the stroganoff on rice or on buttered noodles.