4 large russet potatoes
2 onion slices
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1-1/2 cups milk
1 cups shredded white cheese blend*
2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, shredded
• Preheat the oven to 400F.
• Slice the potatoes very thin.
• Cut two very thin slices from an onion’s widest part. Separate into rings.
• Butter a casserole dish.
• Layer half of the potatoes in the bottom of the dish.
• Scatter the onion slices on the top.
• Top with all the remaining potato slices.
• Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
• In a medium saucepan, melt 2 Tbsp butter on medium heat.
• Add 2 tbsp flour stirring constantly.
• Add the milk and cook, continually stirring until sauce is thickened.
• Add the cheeses at once and continue stirring until the cheese is melted.
• Pour the cheese sauce over the potatoes and cover with aluminum foil.
• Bake for 1-1/2 hours. Serves 4
* I used a 3 cheese Italian blend.