Rakoczy Curd Squares
Paté Sucré Crust:
75g cold butter
1 Tbsp sour cream
pinch of salt
1/3 cup graham crust [to sprinkle over the crust]
2-2/3 cups homemade túró
3/4 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
grated zest of 1 lemon
2/3 cup sour cream
1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup sugar
2 egg whites
2 pkg. vanilla sugar
3 egg whites
1 pkg. vanilla sugar
• 1/2 cup apricot jam [to pipe on the top]
• Preheat oven to 400F.
• Set out and measure all the ingredients.
• Slightly heat the jam.
• Force the jam through a fine sieve and set aside.
• Discard the apricot skins.
• Mix the flour, butter, sugar, sour cream and salt.
• Press into the bottom of a rectangular baking pan.
• Place in a preheated 400F oven for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
• Meanwhile prepare the túró filling.
• [If using curd cheese force it through a sieve.
• Omit the previous step if using homemade túró.]
• Add the sugar, egg yolks, lemon zest and 2/3 cup of sour cream.
• Stir to combine.
• Stir in the raisins.
• Beat the vanilla sugar and 2 egg whites until stiff and shiny.
• Fold the beaten egg whites into the túró mixture.
• Take out the baked crust and sprinkle graham crust on the top.
• Spread the túró mixture over the top.
• Reduce the oven temperature to 375F and bake until set. [When the middle does not indent if gently tapped]
• When the filling is close to set, prepare the meringue.
• Whisk 3 egg whites with vanilla sugar until stiff and shiny.
• Remove the pan from the oven and spread the meringue on the top.
• Reduce the oven again to 325F and return the pan for 5-10 minutes to slightly dry the meringue.
• Pipe or sprinkle the prepared apricot jam over the top.
• Let the bar cool completely before slicing with a wet knife.