image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

10.1.10

HOT COCOA



When I first came to this country in 1967, pregnant and plagued with perpetual morning sickness, not speaking English, not knowing how to cook, and not finding the foods or the ingredients I was used to, what can I say being in love wasn’t always enough. The little comfort I could get from food was the occasional cup of hot cocoa with a dollop of whipped cream. Other than the cocoa and the whipped cream and once I started feeling a little better, Italian Salami from the deli, nothing, absolutely nothing tasted the same. Not the water, not the milk, not the eggs; not even the bread! Especially the bread! All we could find in those days in Prince Rupert was this tasteless white thing Canadians were calling bread. Henceforth hot cocoa with whipped cream will remain my first choice among comfort foods.
  

ONE CUP OF COCOA

2 tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp cocoa
dash of salt
1 cup milk

• Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in a large mug.
• In a separate cup microwave milk until hot.
• Gradually stir the hot milk into the cocoa mixture.
• Stir until well blended. 1 serving

HOT COCOA

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
dash of salt
1/3 cup hot water
4 cups milk
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
whipped cream, sweetened

• In medium saucepan stir together sugar, cocoa and salt.
• Stir in water and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly.
• Bring to boil and keep stirring for 2 minutes.
• Add the milk, stirring constantly, and heat to serving temperature.
• Do not bring to boil.
• Remove from heat and add vanilla.
• Serve topped with whipped cream. 5 servings

HOT COCOA FOR A CROWD

1-1/2 cups sugar
1-1/4 cups cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup hot water
16 cups milk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
marshmallows (optional)

• In a 6-quart saucepan combine sugar, cocoa and salt.
• Gradually add the water.
• Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils.
• Boil and stir for 2 minutes.
• Add the milk.
• Heat it to serving temperature, stirring frequently. Do not boil.
• Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
• Add the marshmallows. 22 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive