When I first came to this country in 1967, pregnant and plagued with perpetual morning sickness, not speaking English, not knowing how to cook, and not finding the foods or ingredients I was used to, what can I say being in love wasn’t always enough. The little comfort I could get from food was the occasional cup of hot cocoa with a dollop of whipped cream. Once I started feeling a little better, salami from the Italian deli was quite enjoyable. Otherwise nothing tasted right. Not the water, not the milk, not the eggs; not the bread. Especially the bread! All we could find in Prince Rupert was this tasteless white thing called Wonder Bread. Wonder I survived! Henceforth hot cocoa with whipped cream remains the first food I go to for comfort.
ONE CUP OF COCOA
2 tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp cocoa
itty bitty dash of salt
1 cup milk
• Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in a large mug.
• In a separate cup microwave milk until hot.
• Gradually stir the hot milk into the cocoa mixture.
• Stir until well blended. 1 serving
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
dash of salt
1/3 cup hot water
4 cups milk
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
whipped cream, sweetened
• In medium saucepan stir together sugar, cocoa and salt.
• Stir in water and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly.
• Bring to boil and keep stirring for 2 minutes.
• Add the milk, stirring constantly, and heat to serving temperature.
• Do not bring to boil.
• Remove from heat and add vanilla.
• Serve topped with whipped cream. 5 servings
HOT COCOA FOR A CROWD
1-1/2 cups sugar
1-1/4 cups cocoa
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup hot water
16 cups milk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
• In a 6-quart saucepan combine sugar, cocoa and salt.
• Gradually add the water.
• Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils.
• Boil and stir for 2 minutes.
• Add the milk.
• Heat it to serving temperature, stirring frequently. Do not boil.
• Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
• Add the marshmallows. 22 servings