image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

16.1.10

LEMON NUT LOAF


If truth be told I didn’t follow my own recipe. It called for shortening and I used margarine. The loaf was fabulous anyway and my darling loved it. The original recipe was called Peggy's Lemon Nut Loaf. It’s all over the web. I got my recipe many years ago from an actual Peggy, though I doubt it was her own recipe. Well of course I changed it, I prefer a decent sized loaf and not the flat little loaves the original recipe made. The taste is the same though, the same lemony deliciousness. Makes 1 loaf.

2-1/4 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp lemon zest, grated
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup chopped nuts

Glaze:
1/2 cup sugar
4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

• Combine the flour, baking powder and the zest.
• Cream the shortening, sugar and the eggs.
• Combine the dry ingredients with the shortening mixture.
• Add the milk and combine.
• Stir in the nuts, reserving a couple of tablespoons.
• Turn the batter into a parchment lined, well greased loaf pan.
• Scatter the reserved nuts on the top.
• Bake at 350F for 55-65 minutes until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
• To make the glaze combine 1/4 cup sugar and 2 Tbsp lemon juice.
• Pierce the top of the loaf with a fork and spoon the glaze on it.
• Place the loaf pan on a rack for 20 minutes.
• Grasp the parchment paper on both ends and gently pull out the loaf.
• Remove parchment gently and place loaf on a rack to cool.

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive