This is a delicious way to do rice pilaf. No need for saffron here. The red pepper gives it great flavour and color. Basmati rice is the preferred choice for pilaf.
1/8 cup butter
1 Tbsp oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 cup Basmati rice
2 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
• Melt the butter or margarine in a medium sized pot.
• Add the oil.
• Add the onions, red peppers and the garlic; sauté until soft.
• Add the rice and stir over moderate heat for 2 minutes.
• In a small saucepan bring the chicken broth to boiling.
• Add the hot chicken broth and bring to boil.
• Cover the pot immediately.
• Reduce heat to low and cook covered for 5 minutes.
• Do not remove the lid during cooking.
• When the pot has no remaining liquid the rice is done.
• Toss with a fork.
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ► 2014 (96)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- SOUP DUMPLINGS – LEVES GALUSKA
- OLD FASHIONED STRAWBERRY JAM
- PLUM JAM
- SAUERKRAUT GULYAS - SZÉKELY GULYÁS
- HOMEMADE VANILLA ICE CREAM
- MUSHROOM SOUP - GOMBA LEVES
- COTTAGE CHEESE BARS - TÚRÓ KOCKA
- TARTAR SAUCE for FISH
- RAKOCZI CURD BAR - RÁKÓCZI TÚRÓS
- SWEET COTTAGE CHEESE DUMPLINGS
- ONE SERVING of MAC AND CHEESE
- HUNGARIAN TOMATO RICE SOUP - RIZSES PARADICSOMLEVE...
- STUFFED PORK RIBS
- BEEF STROGANOFF
- BUTTER TART BARS
- POTATO PEPPER STEW - LECSÓS BURGONYA
- SWEET AND SOUR PORK
- LEMON NUT LOAF
- RASPBERRY SAUCE
- PICKLED BEETS
- RICE PILAF
- PASTA IN TOMATO SAUCE
- HOT COCOA
- POTATOES AU GRATIN
- CRISPY COLE SLAW
- POACHED EGG
- SALMON IN PARCHMENT
- ITALIAN MEATBALLS
- BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- GARAM MASALA
- CAULIFLOWER SOUP - KARFIOL LEVES
- RED PEPPER CORN
- CHERRIES JUBILEE
- ▼ January (33)