This is a delicious way to do rice pilaf. No need for saffron here. The red pepper gives it great flavour and color. Basmati rice is the preferred choice for pilaf.
1/8 cup butter
1 Tbsp oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 cup Basmati rice
2 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
• Melt the butter or margarine in a medium sized pot.
• Add the oil.
• Add the onions, red peppers and the garlic; sauté until soft.
• Add the rice and stir over moderate heat for 2 minutes.
• In a small saucepan bring the chicken broth to boiling.
• Add the hot chicken broth and bring to boil.
• Cover the pot immediately.
• Reduce heat to low and cook covered for 5 minutes.
• Do not remove the lid during cooking.
• When the pot has no remaining liquid the rice is done.
• Toss with a fork.
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. This is to my old on-line friends and visitors: policing the comment section for spam and answering questions has become a chore. Good wishes to you all, happy cooking and keep on feeding your people with good food.
- ► 2014 (93)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (178)
- SOUP DUMPLINGS – LEVES GALUSKA
- OLD FASHIONED STRAWBERRY JAM
- PLUM JAM
- SAUERKRAUT GULYAS - SZÉKELY GULYÁS
- HOMEMADE VANILLA ICE CREAM
- MUSHROOM SOUP - GOMBA LEVES
- COTTAGE CHEESE BARS - TÚRÓ KOCKA
- TARTAR SAUCE for FISH
- CURD CHEESE BUNDLE - TÚRÓS BATYU
- RAKOCZY CURD SQUARES - RÁKÓCZI TÚRÓS
- SWEET COTTAGE CHEESE DUMPLINGS
- ONE SERVING of MAC AND CHEESE
- HUNGARIAN TOMATO RICE SOUP - RIZSES PARADICSOMLEVE...
- STUFFED PORK RIBS
- BEEF STROGANOFF
- BUTTER TART BARS
- POTATO PEPPER STEW - LECSÓS BURGONYA
- SWEET AND SOUR PORK
- LEMON NUT LOAF
- RASPBERRY SAUCE
- PICKLED BEETS
- RICE PILAF
- PASTA IN TOMATO SAUCE
- HOT COCOA
- POTATOES AU GRATIN
- CRISPY COLE SLAW
- POACHED EGG
- SALMON IN PARCHMENT
- ITALIAN MEATBALLS
- BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- GARAM MASALA
- CAULIFLOWER SOUP - KARFIOL LEVES
- RED PEPPER CORN
- CHERRIES JUBILEE
- ▼ January (34)