image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

8.1.10

ITALIAN MEATBALLS


My original recipe calls for veal, but I have used lean ground pork and chicken as well. I don’t like the taste of ground beef no matter how lean, so I can’t recommend that. The amount of tomato sauce depends on the size and the dept of the baking dish though. The sauce should almost cover the meatballs. This ensures the flavours can blend and there will be sufficient sauce left at the end. I use home made tomato sauce. This has carrots for sweetening and a fair amount of basil in it already. Consequently I didn’t add basil to the meat mixture. There are endless varieties of tomato sauces, so use your judgement how much and what herbs to add to the meat.

1/2 lb lean ground veal
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 slices of light rye or sourdough bread
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
cooking spray
2 cups tomato sauce [approximately]
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

• Place the meat in a large bowl.
• Place 2 Tbsp olive oil in a fry pan.
• Chop the onions and the garlic finely and add to the fry pan.
• Lightly brown the onions and the garlic over medium heat.
• Add the cooked onion mixture to the meat.
• Dampen the bread slices slightly.
• Squeeze out all the water.
• Crumble the bread over the meat.
• Add the egg.
• Add salt and pepper to taste.
• Add the dry herbs.
• Combine really well. There should be no visible chunks of bread in the mixture.
• Form 4 large meatballs.
• Spray the bottom of a deep casserole dish with cooking spray.
• Place the meatballs in the casserole.
• Pour the tomato sauce over the meatballs.
• Bake in a 350F oven for 2-1/2 hours.
• Serve with pasta and grated Parmesan cheese.
• 4 servings
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive