1/2 lb lean ground veal
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 slices of light rye or sourdough bread
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 cups tomato sauce [approximately]
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• Place the meat in a large bowl.
• Place 2 Tbsp olive oil in a fry pan.
• Chop the onions and the garlic finely and add to the fry pan.
• Lightly brown the onions and the garlic over medium heat.
• Add the cooked onion mixture to the meat.
• Dampen the bread slices slightly.
• Squeeze out all the water.
• Crumble the bread over the meat.
• Add the egg.
• Add salt and pepper to taste.
• Add the dry herbs.
• Combine really well. There should be no visible chunks of bread in the mixture.
• Form 4 large meatballs.
• Spray the bottom of a deep casserole dish with cooking spray.
• Place the meatballs in the casserole.
• Pour the tomato sauce over the meatballs.
• Bake in a 350F oven for 2-1/2 hours.
• Serve with pasta and grated Parmesan cheese.
• 4 servings