1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp soda [no more]
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups good quality jumbo chocolate chips
1-1/2 cups roasted, chopped nuts (optional)
• Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
• Preheat the oven to 350F.
• In a large bowl beat the butter, sugars, vanilla and egg until light and fluffy.
• In a separate bowl sift together the flour, soda and the salt.
• Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir to combine. The dough will be very soft, but do NOT add more flour.
• Add the chocolate chips and give it a stir to combine.
• Loosely gather up a cookie sized chunk of dough with your fingers and plunk it down on the prepared cookie sheet at 2 -3 inch intervals. It is crucial not to squeeze the dough at any time. Don’t shape it at all. It will settle into a lovely round shape as long as you leave sufficient space between the cookies to grow.
• Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
• Allow the cookies to solidify before moving them onto a wire rack to cool.