1/2 cup butter, cold, cubed
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cream of tartar*
1 1/2 cup milk
1 cup of chocolate chips or blueberries
• Sift together the flour, baking soda and the cream of tartar.
Important: there is no substitution for the cream of tartar!
• Blend in the butter to make a fine meal.
• Stir in the milk just to combine.
• Handle the dough as little as possible.
Dough should be very light.
• Gently flatten dough with hands on a floured board.
• Sprinkle generously with either chocolate chips or blueberries.
• Add 1/2 cup of sugar if using a tart fruit.
• Roll up dough loosely in jellyroll fashion.
• Cut into 8 slices.
• Place rolls on their sides, slightly touching, in a greased baking pan.
• Bake at 450F for 13 minutes.
• Dust with icing sugar and serve piping hot.
I made these with raisins.