PURPLE CABBAGE – LILA KÁPOSZTA
1/2 red cabbage
2 Tbsp salt
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp caraway seeds
ground pepper to taste
vinegar to taste
• Thinly slice or coarsely shred the cabbage.
• Pour 1/4 cup of water on the cabbage and toss.
• Generously sprinkle with salt and toss.
• Let salted cabbage stand for 2 hours.
• With clean hands squeeze out all the moisture.
• In a saucepan, heat up the oil.
• Add the cabbage, sugar, caraway seeds and ground pepper.
• Do NOT add water. Cover and SLOWLY simmer.
• When the cabbage is “crunchy tender”, stir in a little vinegar to taste.
• Serve hot.
For those who are no fan of caraway seeds, grinding the seeds in a spice mill or in a coffee grinder is most beneficial.
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!