POTATO PASTA - KRUMPLIS TÉSZTA
Known as krumplis tészta, also known as gránátos kocka and grenadírmars, Hungarian potato pasta is a simple dish made from pasta and potatoes and is seasoned with Hungarian paprika. It can be eaten as a meal or as a side dish. Because good Hungarian pasta is not readily available where I live, I make my own from 1 egg and a handful of flour. Of all the commercial pastas available in North America, the bowtie pasta is probably the best substitution for Hungarian square pasta. However there is no substitution for good quality Hungarian paprika, so don’t attempt to make this dish without it.
3 potatoes -- diced
1/2 onion -- diced
2 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp + 1/2 tsp Hungarian paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of homemade square pasta or commercial bowtie pasta
• In oil sauté the onions until transparent.
• Add the potatoes and salt.
• Stir in 1 Tbsp of Hungarian paprika.
• Pour in just enough water to cover.
• Simmer for 10 minutes.
• Allow the water to evaporate.
• Cook the pasta tender to package directions.*
• Strain and rinse under cold running water.
• Drain well and add to the potatoes.
• Add the remaining 1/2 tsp Hungarian paprika and heat through.
Recipe makes two main dish servings.
* Homemade pasta cooks in 2 minutes.
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. This is to my old on-line friends and visitors: policing the comment section for spam and answering questions has become a chore. Good wishes to you all, happy cooking and keep on feeding your people with good food.
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- PEACHY MUFFINS
- CREAMED SPINACH - SPENÓT FŐZELÉK
- CHOCOLATE WHITE CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES
- BAKED and BREADED CHICKEN CUTLETS
- OVEN FRIES
- POTATO PASTA - KRUMPLIS TÉSZTA
- PRESSURE COOKER CHICKEN SOUP - CSIRKELEVES KUKTÁBA...
- EASY SUGAR COOKIES
- LIGHT CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- LIGHT CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- FRENCH TOAST for one
- YOGURT CHEESE
- CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
- LAZY PEROGY CASSEROLE
- M&M COOKIES
- HUNGARIAN PAPRIKA
- CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- PURPLE CABBAGE – LILA KÁPOSZTA
- APPLE PIE
- PIE PASTRY
- HUNGARIAN CURD CHEESE BUNDLE - TÚRÓS BATYU
- HUNGARIAN NUT ROLLS - BEIGLI
- FILLINGS FOR HUNGARIAN NUT ROLLS – BEIGLI TÖLTELÉK...
- HASSELBACK POTATOES
- JOKAI BEAN SOUP – JÓKAI BABLEVES
- GULYÁS SOUP - GULYÁS LEVES
- EGGY DUMPLINGS - TOJÁSOS NOKEDLI
- CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRIES
- BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
- FROZEN YOGURT WITH FRUIT
- FRIED RICE
- CREAM OF WHEAT
- MILK RICE – TEJBERIZS
- BREAKFAST PASTRY
- CAESAR SALAD
- JEWEL BARS
- HARD BOILED EGGS
- SAUTÉED BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- PAPRIKA POTATOES - PAPRIKÁS KRUMPLI
- ▼ April (40)