2-1/3 cups soft butter
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
3/4 cup sugar
5 eggs slightly beaten
1-1/2 cups lukewarm milk
5-1/4 tsp yeast
1/4 cup dark rum
1 egg white for glazing
beigli fillings - click on the link
• Dissolve 1 tsp sugar in milk.
• Sprinkle with yeast, let stand 5 minutes.
• Meanwhile measure the flour by the 1/2 cup scoop-and-sweep method into a very large mixing bowl.
• Add the soft butter and rub into the flour until the butter is uniformly distributed throughout. uniform.
• Next add the sugar and lemon zest and combine.
• Finally add the eggs, yeast mix and the rum and form a dough.
• Kneed the dough on a board for full 10 minutes.
• Divide the dough into 5 rounds.
• Cover and let it rest in a cool place overnight. Do not refrigerate or freeze.
• Next day, bring the dough rounds to room temperature.
• Meanwhile prepare the fillings.
• Roll the first round into a rectangle.
• Spread with 1/3 of the walnut filling, leaving 1 cm edge all around.
• Tuck in both ends and loosely roll up in jellyroll fashion.
• Repeat with other rounds, making 3 walnuts, 2 poppy seed rolls.
• Place on greased cookie sheets without touching.
• Glaze the tops with beaten egg white.
• Chill for 1/2 hour.
• Poke sides with fork, to prevent filling spilling out.
• Glaze with beaten egg whites again for marbleized effect.
• Place in a preheated 350F oven.
• Reduce heat to 325F immediately.
• As rolls begin to get color, reduce to 300F.
• Bake for 45-60 minutes until golden brown.