image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

3.4.10

PAPRIKA POTATOES - PAPRIKÁS KRUMPLI


Paprikás krumpli was our national dish in hard times. You need very little to make good paprikás krumpli. I grew up with the meatless version and had it way too often. These days I make it not because I have to, but because I love the dish.

6 red potatoes
3 Tbsp oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tomato, sliced
1/2 green pepper, sliced
1-2 Tbsp Hungarian Paprika
salt and pepper
kolbassa sausage, sliced

• Peel the potatoes, wash, and cut into quarters.
• In a medium sized pot sauté the diced onions until soft.
• Add the sausage slices and slow fry for two minutes.
• Add the potatoes and stir in the paprika.
• Salt and pepper to taste.
• Pour on water to barely cover the potatoes.
• Add the tomato and green pepper.
• Bring to slow simmer and cover.
• Cook until potatoes are tender.
• Remove from heat and let rest for a couple of minutes before serving.



9 comments:

  1. Hmmm... what do you do with the tomato?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the green pepper?

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU!!! for pointing out I failed to include the tomato and green pepper in the write up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful dish that I have been cooking for years - married to a Hungarian! Lucky to live in Toronto where I can add Debrecen sausage. Secret ingredients - beef broth instead of water, a touch of Eros paprika and additional mashed potatoes to thicken. Love all your recipes and am slowly working my way through the cooking! Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gail,

      I started the blog for my family, as it turns out second generation Hungarians and people who are married to Hungarians find it useful as well. Thank you so much for commenting.

      Delete
    2. Hi Zsuzsa!
      That's me..I am married to a Hungarian who fled Hungary as an 8 yrs old boy. Since discovering your blog, I check there first for recipes in stead of looking through Susan Derecskey's Hungarian cookbook..I love all your recipes, Hungarian or not..
      Off to make the Krumpli now..

      Delete
    3. It was delicious, Zsuzsa! My husband thanks you:-)
      The only change I made was to add a bit of vinegar at the end, because that's how Nagy( my M-I-L) always made the potatoes;oh.and added a spoon of instant mash as a thickener, Nagy would use a sour cream and flour. This was so tasty! Thank you!

      Delete
  5. These dishes are a memory from my childhood, I have not had Paprikas Kumpli since the late 80s. Living in the UK, there is not many places where you can buy Debreceni Sauasge, what is a good substitute, Chorizo, a good quality english sauasge or there are a couple of mainstream German supermarkets and plenty of small hold Polish Shops that sell bratwurst and polish sausage. My mum passed a year ago and stopped cooking Hungarian, other than Stuffed Peppers, which is my Wife's last meal dish. So introducing my family to other cuisine from Hungary is like showing them my childhood. I have tried Langos, but cannot get it anywhere near the sellers in the Hungarian Markets. Maybe oneday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will these are so easy to make. The only thing you need for paprikas krumpli is real Hungarian paprika. I don't think I ever had it with debreceni as a kid, it used to be a lean meal for us before my dad got paid.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive