POTATO PASTA - KRUMPLIS TÉSZTA
Known as krumplis tészta, also known as gránátos kocka and grenadírmars, Hungarian potato pasta is a simple dish made from pasta and potatoes and is seasoned with Hungarian paprika. It can be eaten as a meal or as a side dish. Because good Hungarian pasta is not readily available where I live, I make my own from 1 egg and a handful of flour. Of all the commercial pastas available in North America, the bowtie pasta is probably the best substitution for Hungarian square pasta. However there is no substitution for good quality Hungarian paprika, so don’t attempt to make this dish without it.
3 potatoes -- diced
1/2 onion -- diced
2 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp + 1/2 tsp Hungarian paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of homemade square pasta or commercial bowtie pasta
• In oil sauté the onions until transparent.
• Add the potatoes and salt.
• Stir in 1 Tbsp of Hungarian paprika.
• Pour in just enough water to cover.
• Simmer for 10 minutes.
• Allow the water to evaporate.
• Cook the pasta tender to package directions.*
• Strain and rinse under cold running water.
• Drain well and add to the potatoes.
• Add the remaining 1/2 tsp Hungarian paprika and heat through.
Recipe makes two main dish servings.
* Homemade pasta cooks in 2 minutes.
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ► 2014 (97)
- ► 2013 (108)
- ► 2012 (291)
- ► 2011 (179)
- PEACHY MUFFINS
- CREAMED SPINACH - SPENÓT FŐZELÉK
- CHOCOLATE WHITE CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES
- BAKED and BREADED CHICKEN CUTLETS
- OVEN FRIES
- POTATO PASTA - KRUMPLIS TÉSZTA
- PRESSURE COOKER CHICKEN SOUP - CSIRKELEVES KUKTÁBA...
- EASY SUGAR COOKIES
- LIGHT CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- LIGHT CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- FRENCH TOAST for one
- YOGURT CHEESE
- CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
- LAZY PEROGY CASSEROLE
- M&M COOKIES
- HUNGARIAN PAPRIKA
- CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- PURPLE CABBAGE – LILA KÁPOSZTA
- APPLE PIE
- PIE PASTRY
- HUNGARIAN CURD CHEESE BUNDLE - TÚRÓS BATYU
- HUNGARIAN NUT ROLLS - BEIGLI
- HASSELBACK POTATOES
- JOKAI BEAN SOUP – JÓKAI BABLEVES
- GULYÁS SOUP - GULYÁS LEVES
- EGGY DUMPLINGS - TOJÁSOS NOKEDLI
- CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRIES
- BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
- FROZEN YOGURT WITH FRUIT
- FRIED RICE
- CREAM OF WHEAT
- MILK RICE – TEJBERIZS
- BREAKFAST PASTRY
- CAESAR SALAD
- JEWEL BARS
- HARD BOILED EGGS
- SAUTÉED BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- PAPRIKA POTATOES - PAPRIKÁS KRUMPLI
- ▼ April (39)