image

image

MY COOKBOOK

25.4.10

POTATO PASTA - KRUMPLIS TÉSZTA


Known as krumplis tészta, also known as gránátos kocka and grenadírmars, Hungarian potato pasta is a simple dish made from pasta and potatoes and is seasoned with Hungarian paprika. It can be eaten as a meal or as a side dish. Because good Hungarian pasta is not readily available where I live, I make my own from 1 egg and a handful of flour. Of all the commercial pastas available in North America, the bowtie pasta is probably the best substitution for Hungarian square pasta. However there is no substitution for good quality Hungarian paprika, so don’t attempt to make this dish without it.

3 potatoes -- diced
1/2 onion -- diced
2 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp + 1/2 tsp Hungarian paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of homemade square pasta or commercial bowtie pasta

•  In oil sauté the onions until transparent.
•  Add the potatoes and salt.
•  Stir in 1 Tbsp of Hungarian paprika.
•  Pour in just enough water to cover.
•  Simmer for 10 minutes.
•  Allow the water to evaporate.
•  Cook the pasta tender to package directions.*
•  Strain and rinse under cold running water.
•  Drain well and add to the potatoes.
•  Add the remaining 1/2 tsp Hungarian paprika and heat through.
    Recipe makes two main dish servings.

 * Homemade pasta cooks in 2 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. Zsuzsa, I tried this recipe a few nights ago and it was absolutely amazing! :) I recently moved to Budapest with my Hungarian boyfriend and I`m so glad that I came across your website with Hungarian recipes in English! :) I will definitely be trying more of them!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh you then have access to real turo and to yellow pepper! sigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hungarian mother in law used to make this dish for me cause I loved it so much and she showed me once how to make it but I forgot. thanks it tasted just like the one she used to make. I don't suppose you know how to make hungarian cabbage rolls - it used to be stuffed with mince meat in a tomato sauce? Thanks again for the great recipe Jenny Hegedus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, Ukrainians use tomato sauce. Hungarian cabbage rolls are made with sauerkraut. - I have the recipe; look for it in my cookbook under "Meat"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for posting this! My Oma used to make this dish all of the time and I didn't have a recipe so I've never gotten it quite right. She always used to make it with homemade noodle dough that she would roll and cut into large squares, not too thin, but thick and chewy. This is one of my favorite things she used to make and I can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

me

My Photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 800 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

regarding comments

Comments from food bloggers [some of whom may or may not have commercial content on their blog] are always welcome. Comments left on my older posts are moderated to keep away spam and may not appear immediately. But since I choose not to allow advertising on my own blog, I will not allow comments with obvious commercial links. If you don't have a blog you can always comment with a Google account or anonymously.

Blog Archive