3/4 cup carrots, diced
3/4 cup potatoes, diced
3/4 cup celery root, diced
3/4 cup frozen peas
1 apple, diced
1 cup Hungarian Tartar Sauce*
• Uniformly dice the vegetables.
• Steam separately each vegetable.
• Do not overcook.
• Set aside vegetables to cool.
• Place the cooled vegetables in a medium sized bowl.
• Add the diced apple and combine.
• Gently toss with Hungarian Tartare Sauce Base.
Until McDonalds came to Hungary, one of the quintessential fast foods was a tray of French salad. I used to buy 100 grams of this stuff in a közért (grocery store) with a crusty bun and eat it on the run, scooping it up with the bun, not knowing disposable cutlery even existed.
*To make Hungarian Tartare Sauce stir to combine:
1 cup [preferably homemade] mayonnaise
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp sugar