image

image

5.5.10

FRENCH SALAD - FRANCIA SALÁTA



3/4 cup carrots, diced
3/4 cup potatoes, diced
3/4 cup celery root, diced
3/4 cup frozen peas
1 apple, diced
1 cup Hungarian Tartar Sauce*

• Uniformly dice the vegetables.
• Steam separately each vegetable.
• Do not overcook.



• Set aside vegetables to cool.
• Place the cooled vegetables in a medium sized bowl.
• Add the diced apple and combine.
• Gently toss with Hungarian Tartare Sauce.

Until McDonalds came to Hungary, one of the quintessential fast foods was a tray of French salad. I used to buy 100 grams of this stuff in a közért (grocery store) with a crusty bun and eat it on the run, scooping it up with the bun, not knowing disposable cutlery even existed.

*To make Hungarian Tartare Sauce stir to combine:  

1 cup [preferably homemade] mayonnaise
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp sugar
  

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for reposting this recipe, Zsuzsa, my Mom used to make this treat as a side with Deviled Eggs in the 70's (I guess that must have been fusion at its very early days). I've often thought about it but haven't made it; my Mom's version never had potatoes, but it does sound lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Eva that is the idea. You could get franciasalata at any közert where cold salads and deli meats were sold. Kaszino tojas, devilled eggs, stuffed egg - whatever you call it can be on its own too, but in finer restaurants the kaszino tojas [covered with aszpik] was always served on a bed of french salad like this one. Certainly you don't have to put potatoes in it, however the rest of the vegetables are vital and the apple is what gives this dish its unique flavouring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used Eva's link back to this post to see what the salad was as I wasn't familiar with the name and must compliment you on another cold vegetable 'salad' that I would actually eat. The first one was Charles' potato salad.

    I like the crisp look of the individually cooked vegetables before you added the mayonnaise. So many times, the salads I've seen just seemed to mask a bunch of overcooked, mushy veggies which made the dish very unappetizing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you Maria, overcooked, mushy veggies are not very nice.

    ReplyDelete

me

My Photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 800 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. They are organized into a cookbook format in "zsuzsa's cookbook".

Blog Archive