MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

6.5.10

HUNGARIAN NOODLE PASTRY - VARGA BÉLES


2 cups fine [thin] egg noodles
6 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
2-1/2 cups [500 g tub] ricotta cheese
grated rind of 1/2 lemon
1/8 cup melted butter
1 cup sour cream
8 egg whites
2 packets vanilla sugar
1/8 cup raisins
12 sheets of filo pastry
1/2 cup melted butter for brushing

• Break the noodles into 2 inch lengths.
• Cook in boiling water until tender.
• Drain noddles and set aside.
• Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until fluffy.
• Add the ricotta, lemon rind, 1/8 cup melted butter and sour cream.
• Combine well.
• Add the cooked noodles and raisins, mixing well.
• In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and vanilla sugar until stiff.
• Fold the beaten egg whites into the ricotta mixture.
• Grease a medium-size baking dish.
• Lay six sheets of filo pastry inside the dish; lightly brushing between the layers with melted butter.
• Spread the ricotta mixture on the top.
• Lay six more layers of filo pastry over the filling, brushing lightly between the layers with melted butter.
• Brush the top with melted butter.
• Place in a preheated 375F oven and bake for 50-60 minutes.
• Sprinkle the top with icing sugar.
• Slice and serve warm.

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. This is to my old on-line friends and visitors: policing the comment section for spam and answering questions has become a chore. Good wishes to you all, happy cooking and keep on feeding your people with good food.

Blog Archive