4 cups* fresh yellow wax beans, chopped
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp flour
1 tsp Hungarian paprika
1 garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup sour cream
additional sour cream for serving
• Remove the bean ends and pull off the tough stringy bit from the sides.
• Rinse beans under cold running water.
• Chop into 1-1/2 inch lengths.
• Place chopped beans in a wide bottomed pot [like smallish dutch oven].
• Add water to the level of the beans.
• Bring it to boil, reduce to simmer and place a lid on the pot.
• Cook beans until almost tender.
• Remove pot from heat and set aside.
• To make a roux, place a non stick fry pan on medium heat.
• Heat up the olive oil and stir in the flour.
• Continue stirring until the roux begins to get a bit of color.
• Stir in the paprika and the minced garlic.
• Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of COLD water.
• Stir the mixture smooth.
• Gradually add the roux mixture to the pot of cooked beans.
• Place over medium heat and bring it to a slow simmer.
• Season with salt and pepper.
• Slowly simmer beans for a couple of minutes.
• Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream.
• Serve the zöldbabfőzelék with extra sour cream.
Recipe serves 4 as a meal and 6 as a side dish.
* About 4 large handful of fresh beans