MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

11.5.10

WAX BEANS STEW - SÁRGABABFŐZELÉK


Wax beans are hard to come by, which is a pity, because I think they are superior to the green. But with the Jim growing it, I get to have my fill year after year after year.

4 cups* fresh yellow wax beans, chopped
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp flour
1 tsp Hungarian paprika
1 garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup sour cream
additional sour cream for serving

• Remove the bean ends and pull off the tough stringy bit from the sides.
• Rinse beans under cold running water.
• Chop into 1-1/2 inch lengths.
• Place chopped beans in a wide bottomed pot [like smallish dutch oven].
• Add water to the level of the beans.
• Bring it to boil, reduce to simmer and place a lid on the pot.
• Cook beans until almost tender.
• Remove pot from heat and set aside.
• To make a roux, place a non stick fry pan on medium heat.
• Heat up the olive oil and stir in the flour.
• Continue stirring until the roux begins to get a bit of color.
• Stir in the paprika and the minced garlic.
• Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of COLD water.
• Stir the mixture smooth.
• Gradually add the roux mixture to the pot of cooked beans.
• Place over medium heat and bring it to a slow simmer.
• Season with salt and pepper.
• Slowly simmer beans for a couple of minutes.
• Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream.
• Serve the zöldbabfőzelék with extra sour cream.
  Recipe serves 4 as a meal and 6 as a side dish.

* About 4 large handful of fresh beans
   

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. This is to my old on-line friends and visitors: policing the comment section for spam and answering questions has become a chore. Good wishes to you all, happy cooking and keep on feeding your people with good food.

Blog Archive