1-1/3 cups white rice
250 ml water
2 cups milk
1/4 cup butter
1 lemon, rind of
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup raisins
5 egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
5 egg whites
butter and breadcrumbs for the pan
• Place the water and rice in a wide bottomed pot and bring it to boil.
• Set to slow boil, do not cover pot and keep stirring.
• Meanwhile set the oven to 375F.
• Grease a rectangular cake pan with the extra butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
• Keep stirring and watching the rice.
• When most of the water evaporates pour the milk in.
• Cook until tender.
• Remove from heat and stir in the butter, lemon rind, and the vanilla extract.
• Let it cool for 30-40 minutes until rice mixture is lukewarm.
• To speed it up, pour the rice into a deep chilled bowl and place the bowl in ice water.
• Stir in the raisins.
• Beat the egg yolks with sugar until creamy coloured.
• Sift the flour into the yolk mixture combining well.
• In a separate bowl [with clean beaters] beat the egg whites until stiff.
• First gently stir the beaten yolk mixture into the rice.
• Gradually fold in the beaten egg whites.
• Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until baked through.
• Serve immediately with fruit or chocolate sauce.