17.5.10

FREEZER ICE CREAM

I used to have a 4 liter electric ice cream maker. It made good ice cream, but I had to feed it ice and salt in huge quantities. Imagine the ice and salt costing more than the cream! Then I bought a small Donvier. After that I never had to worry about having enough ice or salt again.

We bought a new fridge. I placed my Donvier in the freezer the night before as I always do, and the next morning I proceeded to make ice cream. I wait and wait an hour passes and still no ice cream. Did you read the instruction says Jim? Then Jim says the freezer section of the new fridge is set differently and that I should have put the Donvier in the downstairs deepfreeze. Good to know, but now its too late to make ice cream. Or is it? I pour the stuff into a regular bowl and put it in the not so cold freezer upstairs with a whisk and leave it. I come back a few times to whisk it and by the evening we have vanilla ice cream. I still prefer my small Donvier, but now I know I can make ice cream in a not so cold freezer too. 

FREEZER ICE CREAM
4 cups half and half
1 cup icing sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla

• In a bowl combine the cream, sugar and the vanilla extract.
• Place it in a not so cold freezer [it should still freeze the stuff, just not rock hard]
• Put a strong metal whisk in the bowl and leave it.
• Whisk it once every couple of hours.
• In 8-10 hours the ice cream is scoop-able.

the Truth About Creams:
Heavy Cream 36% FAT
Whipping Cream 30% FAT
Table Cream18% FAT
Half & Half 10% FAT
 

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!