You can add a bit of butter, but this is not necessary. You can season with cinnamon, cloves or ginger. All the sweet stuff people add to it is superfluous. There is a reason why it is called a sweet potato. Adding sugar, honey, corn syrup, maple syrup, or marshmallows to a baked sweet potato is just southern silly.
1 large sweet potato
1 Tbsp butter
salt to taste
• Wash and dry the sweet potato.
• Cut of the ends.
• With a chef’s knife cut into it all over. In the meantime, it is a good idea to keep your other hand behind your back. That way you will not be tempted to hold onto the sweet potato. Trust me on this.
• Place the sweet potato in a baking dish.
• Rub 1 Tbsp of butter into the skin.
• Place the baking dish in the oven and turn it on to 375F. Do not place it in a preheated oven.
• Check the sweet potato occasionally for doneness. Do not over bake. If you do, the sweet potato will explode. You can still save it. Add a tablespoon of butter and serve it as mashed sweet potato.